Kara's Party Ideas Totally Awesome 80's Party | Kara's Party Ideas

Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party IdeasMy husband was born in 1980, so for the past few months I’ve been planning a “totally awesome” 80’s party to honor the year of his birth & totally rad years of his childhood. I had so much fan planning it, and the party was a hit. Thinking back to the 80’s was hilarious! So here’s his ‘radical’ night…

My favorite elements from this killer 80’s party include the following:

• Mr. T lifesize stand up
  • Capri Sun drinks, because if you had these drinks in the 80’s, you were the bomb!
  • Neon straws
  • Scooby Doo elements
  • Old school comic books
  • Neon velcro wallets and slide bracelets
  • And more!

I found the Mr. T stand up online, and we used him for the best photo op, and an 80’s party couldn’t be finished without a visit from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman (in the form of plastic Spiderman cups). I made sure to round out the party with plenty of neon colors and elements. Enjoy the party!

Totally Awesome 80’s Party

Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas wallets and bracelets

These neon wallets that I found on Oriental Trading were the invitation. I put the invite inside, along with an Uno card from the great 80’s card game.
The invitation read: “Uno You Wanna Be Cool, Right? So, totally come to the celebration of the year of Ben’s birth! It’s a radical 80’s birthday party! Come ready to have a tubular time! Don’t give any bogus excuse! Dress in your 80’s get up and be the bombdigity!”
The invitation came with an 80’s friendship bracelet attached. It turned out so cute!
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas and Rubiks Cube cake
The birthday cake was a Rubik’s Cube! The cake took forever, with a middle layer of neon swirl, but it was worth the time!
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas and Cassette Tape "Streamers"
For decor, I took the wonderful and very stringy old school cassette and VHS tapes (shown below) and painted them neon colors. I strung the tapes from the ceiling fan for a fun decoration!
Other elements from the party include:
  • Bazooka bubble gum with comic strips
  • Flintsone candy sticks
  • Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo candy
  • Spiderman bowl
  • Slinky’s hung from the ceiling
  • Neon tablecloths
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas with 80's sunglasses and slinky's
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas and sunglasses, slap bracelets, and pins
Slap bracelets and 80’s  character pins are simply the BEST!
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas with 80's style
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party IdeasI had our Polaroid camera out for anyone who wanted a Polaroid pic. We took a bunch of  them with MR. t and all the other 80’s decor.
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party IdeasMore of our ‘totally awesome’ guests.
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas with inflatable boom boxThis is an inflatable boom box that i found on eBay. It has an iPod dock so it actually plays music. I had 80’s music that I purchased on iTunes playing on and off throughout the night. It was awesome!
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party Ideas with kids entertainmentI bought a used old school Nintendo machine! Does this say 80’s or what?! We played Pac-Man and Mario Bros throughout the night. It brought back so many memories!

80’s Memorabilia

Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party IdeasTotally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party IdeasHere’s some more of the 80’s decor. I decorated my whole upper bar with 80’s memorabilia…Spiderman books, Connect Four games, Scooby Doo snacks, whistles, jelly bracelets, glitter bracelets, friendship bracelets, Koosh balls, Uno cards, Garbage Pail Kid cards, Aqua Net hairspray, Slinky’s, Rainbow Brite, Transformers, and more!
I also had Trivial Pursuit Totally 80’s out on our coffee table for guests to play. Some of the questions were a riot!
Totally Awesome 80's Party via Kara's Party IdeasI found some old school looking t shirts at Target for my boys to wear. They had 80’s cartoon characters on them. They worked perfectly! Here they are eating their pizza on the kitchen floor.
Love Kara’s Party Ideas? Keep up with the latest party ideas, FREE party printables, tutorials, recipes and more by following Kara’s Party Ideas on Pinterest!
Follow Kara's Party Ideas on Pinterest! Tutorials, recipes, tips, ideas and more!

1. Cori says:

Oh my gosh! I so remember all those things! I had a neon wallet just like that along with slap bracelets and pretty much everything else. I had neon green biker shorts too! What a fun party! Seriously, can I higher you for my parties!???

2. This is SOOOO cool! I might have to do this for my husband. I’ll be linking.

3. Brandy says:

I just stumbled across your blog & I LOVE it! What a great party :o) You are so creative. Amazing job!

4. librarianism says:

Wow! That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing all these great ideas.

5. apparentlyjessy says:

Woah, that looks like a really awesome party! Gotta love the 80’s!

6. sweet80pea says:

You went all out on this party. I love it so much, and admire the fact that you pretty much covered everything that I remember from my childhood, from the trapper keepers to the original NES system! Cheers on an totally tubular party!

7. Amy @ Living Locurto says:

OMG! Gag me with a spoon. That is totally awesome!! Thanks for sharing:-)

8. SecondCitySoireeJen says:

LOVE IT! It's totally rad!

9. Kendra says:

I love it! I totally wanted to do something like this when my husband and I turned 30. I even had written out the playlist of '80s tunes, but he wasn't so game. :-( You did a fantastic job! I love all of the details! Especially the cake!

10. Brittany says:

OH MY GOSH!!!! My hubby turns 30 this year and I have been trying to figure out a surprise party theme for him. This one is so great! I think I am steeling the rubix cube idea from you! SO CUTE!

11. Anonymous says:

thank you! im throwing a "totally awesome sweet 16", and you gave me so many ideas!
    thankyouuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Anonymous says:

I'm havin an 80s themed fancy dress for my 30th birthday party & was just looking for some ideas & yours are REALLY great. Some of my own ideas were similar but WELL DONE on yours gotta say!!!

13. Anonymous says:

Thank you for this! So many RAD ideas….you rock!!

14. Anonymous says:

Great party ideas for my 80's party. thanks a bunch!!!!

15. Nore says:

I am actually having an 80's party for my b-day and ur ideas were so awesome I decided to use some for my own party thanks

16. Anonymous says:

I too am having an 80's party for mine and my husbands birthday's! You gave me soooo many ideas I can't wait to see are guest faces and hear them reminisce when they see all these great things you have come up with! I really love the cake idea!

17. Anonymous says:

Thank you for the awesome ideas! I am throwing my hubby an 80's party for his 30th & can't wait to set it all up. Problem!..I can't find a decent scene setter like your makeshift stage..anyone have any ideas????

18. Jenn Erickson says:

Stopping by from SITs. Totally rad party! I remember those wallets! Everyone had them! You really did a tremendous job of reacreating the 80s! The way you decorated with the casettes was the best!

19. Anonymous says:

I'd like to know where you got some of that stuff. I am throwing an 80's party in 3 weeks and need some stuff.
    [email protected]

20. Anonymous says:

I have been planning my husband an 80's themed 30th bday paty!! Willing to sell any of this stuff? I've been trying to find some more authentic things from the 80's like on ebay and stuff but everything just seems so expensive when it's considered a collectible! Got any suggestions?

21. Anonymous says:

Like, totally cool man! I love your ideas… we are having a retro 80s theme for our ladies curling bonspiel this weekend!

22. kara's party ideas says:

Sure, I'd probably be willing to sell some of my items. Email me at [email protected] :)

23. crmchezpi says:

I went and found the boombox like you said on ebay but how do you blow it up? Did you take it to a gas station?

24. Randall says:

I had that trapper keeper too!! :)

25. Anonymous says:

heeey i had an 80's party last year and it was nothing like the one u had but there were lots of like neon lights and everything and it was awesome!!!!!! try having an 80's dance next time worked, out for me!! :)

26. Anonymous says:

Hi There,
    Do you remember the websites that you got things from such as the neon wallets, the backdrop with neon speakers behind your stage, the cutout etc???

Also do you have anything left? Would you like to sell it?
    Chris

27. kara's party ideas says:

orientaltrading.com!! Thanks!

28. Kelley at My Island Wedding says:

wow! looks like you went all out on this party! (my husbad & i graduated high school in the 80's so this stuff sure does look familiar!!!)

nice job.
    -kelley

29. Devan says:

Where did u find the pins?

30. kara says:

I found them on eBay :].

31. Danielle says:

Absolutely love, love, love these ideas. I am currently working on throwing an 80's party. I will be using some of these wonderful ideas..GREAT JOB!!!
    Kuddos to you :)

32. BirthdayPartyBabble.com says:

I love the spray painted tape cassettes. They would make a good garland, too. These with concert posters on the walls would really set the mood.

33. Antonietta says:

I have been looking everywhere for a MR.T cardboard cutout and have been unsuccesful. Also I have been looking for character pins and other 80’s things. If you could send me an email as to where you purchased some things that would be great.. Thanks so much :D

34. rowena says:

Hi there. Where can I get those cool robotic sunglasses? I am having my 10th wedding anniversary with 80’s theme.
    Thanks.
    Rowena

35. COURTNEY HUSTON says:

hi my name is Courtney huston i am turning 20 in november and me and my mom want to throw an “I LOVE THE 80’s” party any ideas or suggestions. Thanks have a good day