I’ll bet you are here because you want to know how one simple recipe changed my holiday season. I’ll bet you are a little skeptical. It’s okay, I was too. But, I am telling you…with a mere 15 minutes (or less!!) your life will be changed!
With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, you have probably found yourself buried in wrapping paper, mistletoe, yule logs, and sleigh rides. I know all about it. It was at this very point last year that I had an epiphany. I remember it like it was yesterday:
It was 2:48 in the morning, December 23rd. I had just started untangling the mess of ribbon that I was using to wrap gifts, as the caramel for last-minute neighbor gifts was bubbling on the stove. As I worked to untangle the last knot in the ribbon (seriously, how does it get so tangled sitting in a box!?) it occurred to me that I needed to make some changes to keep the holly and jolly in the season.
I pondered this thought for a moment and must have drifted off to sleep. The next thing I knew I woke up with my head resting on the pile of ribbon and the smoke alarm going off. I had fallen asleep and my caramel had bubbled over and started burning on the stove. As my children came screaming out of their bedrooms and my bleary-eyed husband rushed into the kitchen, I raced with a chair to the smoke detector which just happened to be in the most out of reach place in my kitchen.
As I surveyed the scene and said a silent apology to the neighbors for the lack of gifts, I knew that next year would be different. I would simplify and focus. I would start early. This would be my year!
Easy Peppermint Oreo Muddy Buddies Christmas Chex Party Mix Recipe
My simplification started with this very recipe. I needed to stop the insanity of hours of baking and candy-curating. But, I didn’t want to sacrifice on taste or crowd-pleasing quality. Enter Chex Party Mix. Chex Party Mix is an easy, crowd-favorite recipe to make for the holidays. It doesn’t require lots of time and effort, and it keeps you both holly and jolly.
For my holiday-inspired Chex Mix, I put a personalized spin on it and I added peppermint candy and crushed Oreos. You can recreate mine by following the recipe below, or you can experiment yourself and find your own personal favorite.
9 cups Rice Chex™, Corn Chex™ or Chocolate Chex™ cereal (or combination)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup crushed peppermint candy
1 cups crushed Oreo cookies
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Add 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy.
- Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated.
- Pour contents of bag into bowl and add additional 1/2 cup peppermint candies and stir.
- Add crushed Oreo cookies and stir once more. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.