Oh! Hello! Don’t mind me…I’m just over here noshing on this leftover pasta from dinner tonight. My kids were a little hesitant at first, when they heard the word squash, but when they saw the vibrant colors in this dish, and took the first tenative bite, they were sold!! The acorn squash was perfect grilled–a little smokey flavor–and I love the crunch of cabbage no matter what! Enjoy!
Creative Thanksgiving Recipes: Grilled Acorn Squash Pasta & Red Cabbage
- 4 oz. penne rigate
- 1 lb. acorn squash, cut along the natural indentations into wedges, seeds removed
- 4 cups/12 oz. red cabbage, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Toss the squash with half the oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Place the squash flesh side down and grill for 5 minutes. Flip and cook 5 minutes on the other flesh side. Finally turn squash on the skin side and cook 3 minutes more. Check that the squash is done. A knife should go in easily. When cool enough to handle, dice the squash into bite-sized chunks. Add to the bowl with pasta.
- Toss the cabbage with the remaining oil. Salt and pepper to taste. If using an indoor grill pan, place the cabbage directly on the pan. Use tongs to move it around and wilt (about 2 minutes). If using an outdoor grill, use a vegetable basket or just place the cabbage on a piece of foil directly on the grill and heat enough to wilt. Add to bowl with squash and pasta.
- While the squash is cooking, whisk together the cinnamon, ground ginger, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Toss with other ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Love Kara’s Party Ideas? Keep up with the latest party ideas, FREE party printables, tutorials, recipes and more by following Kara’s Party Ideas on Pinterest!