Your baby, whether he is having his 1st birthday or his 12th birthday, is your life! You want to celebrate him in a way that makes him happy and creates a memory that will last through pictures and in his mind forever! It doesn’t hurt that you love to plan a party and you
have just as much fun as he does want him to have as much fun as possible with his friends. It is also important to create budget-friendly kids party ideas to keep the financier happy as well!
Whether your child has a strong opinion about the party theme (Spiderman, Frozen, Star Wars!!) or they just want some yummy treats to eat and a few games to play, it is important to create a perfect party within your budget, that makes everybody happy!
Budget-Friendly Kids Party Ideas
Here at Kara’s Party Ideas we love a good party, and we are constantly drooling over the amazing parties that you submit everyday (which we love…keep them coming!!). The awesome thing is that some of these parties, though they look like they cost big bucks, are done on a small budget…so we’d like to share a few tips and tricks for a smashing party on a budget-friendly scale.
Create a Main Focal Point
Creating a main focal point–often called a sweets table, dessert table, or tablescape–accomplishes a couple of things; first, it provides an anchor for your room and party. You can build around this anchor, but if you have an anchor point, then you don’t have to worry too much about putting tons of money into additional decor to try to make the venue look cohesive. Second, it helps guide your guests when it comes to the flow of the party; when it is time to eat they know where to go, and you don’t have to do large amounts of explanation.
As you can see from the examples of these tablescapes, you can create a nice looking focal point–and here is the hint–without a large investment monetarily. We’ll talk about what elements make a good focal table next.
Essential Elements of an Eye-Pleasing Tablescape
As you can see from the examples above, there are many different ways to create an eye-pleasing tablescape, but they all involve a few key elements:
- Varying heights: having the varying parts of your tablescape sitting at different heights is the first key element to a successful table. You’ll see different ways of creating height from vintage soda crates to cake pedestals. So, how do you create height without spending copious amounts of cash?
- Network: Networking is a fancy way of saying, “ask your friends if they have cake stands, crates, pedestals, or other party or dinnerware.” You may have one cake stand, your friend has two, and you share!
- Second-hand stores: Make these stores a part of your shopping tour! They can be hit or miss, but you can often find great items to use for a party.
- Glam it up: It is easy to take inexpensive items, like plastic animals from the dollar bin, and use a little spray paint to add a bit of cohesiveness and flair. This applies to anything related to your theme…spray paint is your friend!
- Buy universal: If you like to plan parties, make sure you purchase items that can be used for many different party themes. In the provided tablescape examples, you’ll see key items that can be used in any party theme, such as white cake stands and white platters.
- Use your food: Instead of putting everything on a platter, you can use your food to create different levels, such as the fruit skewers placed vertical or cake pops with longer sticks to create variation.
- Background: The tablescape is a large portion of a successful-looking set-up, but you don’t want it floating around without anything to anchor it. A good background is an essential part of an eye-pleasing tablescape. You can achieve a beautiful and successful background without even spending a dime, or by investing very little money.
- Repurpose or reuse: You don’t need to look outside your home for your background–take the large mirror in your dining room and place it behind your table and adorn it with a DIY banner, or grab a painting from your bedroom and hang it behind the table for some visual interest. You can also use greenery from around your house–plants, potted trees, faux boxtree balls, and more–to create your backdrop. The same goes for the white flat sheet on your guest bed: use it for your backdrop, it makes a great canvas.
- Printables: There are so many printables for parties, at least one or two in every theme you can consider! Many of these printables can be found for free or very little money.
- Balloons: The variety of balloons is ever expanding (lame, lame joke…) and you have many inexpensive choices from letters and numbers to many different sizes of mylar and latex balloons. See the post on my balloon obsession for more ideas.
- Photos: A clothesline with printed photos of the birthday girl or your favorite Valentine pics is a wonderful and inexpensive way to create visual interest in your backdrop. You can also easily print photos from home with a good printer, which is a great investment.
Share Your Tips
Now that we’ve shared our tips with you, it is your turn! What have you done to save some cash while creating a high-style, beautiful anchor table? Let us know–network with us!
Love Kara’s Party Ideas? Keep up with the latest party ideas, FREE party printables, tutorials, recipes and more by followingKara’s Party Ideas on Pinterest!